There is no doubt about it – even if you use a good matchmaker service, the dating game can be a minefield for many people. From the nerve-wracking first dates to never being sure if you really have made a connection, it is never as easy as the movies make it out to be. The good part about dating is that it helps us break out of our shells, and allows us to meet new people. For shy singles who are not used to dating, matchmaker services simplify the process, helping singles meet like-minded people who share their interests, passions and values.
When you have met someone that you would like to know better, the nervousness can be even worse. It can be daunting to keep trying to read their body language and work out whether they are just being friendly or if you really have a chance at pursuing a relationship. To take the guesswork out of the equation, our matchmaker expert offers a few tips on how to tell if your love interest is a keeper or simply a player.
1. Eye contact – does he or she look at your when talking to you, or do they keep shifting their glance to whatever is happening in the room whenever you are talking? Eye contact is one of the best signs of interest, and a person who is genuinely interested in what you have to say will always make eye contact when you are chatting.
2. Conversation – does your love interest ask you questions about yourself, or only talk about themselves the whole time? Showing interest in your life is a good sign that they want to get to know you, while simply using the date as a way to show off, brag or talk about themselves the entire time is often an indication that they are not very bothered about getting to know you.
3. Talking about the future – does he or she include you in future plans, or only talk about what they plan to do? If your matchmaker interest often talks about things that they wish to do with you in the future, that is a great sign that they are imagining you in their lives further down the line. If they are more interested in telling you about something that they plan to do alone, then they may not be seeing you as part of their life at this point.
4. Manners – does your interest interrupt you often, or do they seem to be showing you respect throughout the date? Interrupting, playing with their phone, looking everywhere but at you, not introducing you to friends who approach and other signals of boredom or rudeness are all sure signs that your love interest is not even willing to pretend to participate in your date. A lack of manners also indicates a lack of respect, and someone without basic manners is not someone you would want to date anyway.
5. Eagerness – has your interest asked you on a second date, or are they more interested in getting you to go home with them? Eagerness doesn’t always have to mean desperate, but a level of keenness to see you again is the best sign of all. Wanting to get you back to his or her place on the other hand is a sure sign that your romantic interest is more player than keeper. This is the type of matchmaker type that you should be wary of if you are looking for something more serious than a one-night-stand.