Descent, the board game, is not at all related to Descent the pc game. As a matter of fact this is an improved version of the Doom board game which belongs to Fantasy Flight Games’ series of fantasy board games which include Lord of the Rings, War craft III, World of War craft and Rune bound.
In any case, we tried it and it felt like a merging between an MMO and a table top game – You have characters that kill hordes of monsters using brawn, magic and cunning. After playing the game for the first time, as we normally do we discuss the good and bad points of the game. This discussion led to the argument of which was the best board game ever.
Let me breakdown the list of what we came up with from the lowest to highest:
6. Psychologizer is like Fibs or Not only in the sense that the players are required to tell stories about their lives and it is up to the other players to try and psychoanalyze the others. This is a bit of a serious game but it is great for a small group who would like to get to know each other. I personally like this game because the first time I played it, I ended up being the girlfriend of one of the other players.
5. Junta is a fantastic game but results in the complete opposite effect of Psychologizer. The objective of the game is to be able to acquire complete power and wealth in a simulated banana republic. The problem lies in the fact that it is a no holds barred kind of game where in you can do anything to win the game – the more corrupt you are the higher the chances of you winning the game. I have personally seen friendships strained because of this game but as long as you are a good sport it is quite a lot of fun.
4. Chess is the oldest board game around whose original date cannot be fully deciphered as there are numerous variations of it in different cultures in ancient times. The variation that is being used now, however, dates back to the 15th century in Southern Europe. You may think that this is a corny choice but hey, this has been around for centuries, and its lasting power is definitely a testament to it being one of the best games in town.
3. Scrabble is a classic board game. Like Chess, Scrabble’s enduring popularity is a testament to its success as a board game. It’s not very active but it’s intellectually stimulating.
2. Cranium is the one stop shop of board games that will definitely entertain a big group of friends. The categories include trivia, performance, language and the arts. The manner in which you answer the question as well requires a lot of innovation and ingenuity from the players. It is a fantastic game for a party and utilizes the multiple intelligence of each member of the team. I personally love the performance category.
1. Monopoly for me is the best board game. I have to say that I learned how to manage my finances because of Monopoly. It has also taught me how to be ambitious. And Most of all it is absolutely fun. Apart from these “lessons” it is absolutely fun. Oh how I love it when I own the Boardwalk and they just so happen to stop there. At least, the members of Ibeatyou.com agree with me as far as Monopoly being the best game is concerned.
Yes, I know that there are numerous board games out there that may be better than my list. I do not doubt it but these are the ones that are most significant to me. Why don’t you give me your own lists?