By Joe Jessop
For substantial university basketball coaches, breaking down game film can be pretty frustrating simply because of the demands of instructing in a classroom as well. Soon after all…basketball coach is not your only job. Right here are 6 brief strategies to help you break down game film far more properly so you are not paying out so many hrs staring at a monitor.
- Start out by observing the defensive finish of the flooring first. It is awesome what you will discover about your team and the over-all game by concentrating on the defense aspect of the game. I will basically fast ahead every possession to the defensive facet so that I do not get caught up and facet tracked by the offensive facet of the flooring (this is pretty effortless to do). When I fast ahead to only a single aspect of the game I turn out to be pretty centered and it only will take about 20-thirty minutes to break down the defense and have some reliable notes published in my basketball coaching planner. Upcoming, I will do the very same matter with the offensive finish of the flooring.
- Never get bogged down in each one possession. As coaches we have a tendency to read too a lot into the breakdown of every possession. The game of basketball moves too fast and there is pretty small if any changeover time. As a result, if you aim on every possession you will get slowed down in facts and it will consider hrs upon hrs to end observing game film. The key is to appear for general significant tendencies. For case in point: When I am breaking down the defensive finish I might recognize that my team is not taking away the baseline drive. I will be aware that in by basketball coaches planner and make guaranteed I carry out the drills in observe preparing to repair the problem.
- Look at the game film with your players. Appear up with three defensive ideas and three offensive ideas for your team to aim on in the course of your film session. Make copies of your blank film break down pages from your basketball coaching planner and hand them out to your team to use while they view. Question them to make their possess notes regarding the three offensive keys and three defensive keys as they check out the film.
- Do not view the full film with substantial university athletes from begin to end. Use the very same approach with them that you did when you have been breaking it down. Only show them the defensive finish and then the offensive finish. Again…this will make it possible for them to aim in on what you want them to get out of the film. Only pause it and further break it down on four or five possessions so they do not get sick of observing the film.
- Your film session with your players should be no far more than forty five minutes long. Players will get rid of aim then the session gets a squander of time rather than a productive and favourable studying knowledge for you and your players. Explain to them it will only be forty five minutes and then adhere to it. Discover how to turn out to be distinct and concise. It will turn out to be your most significant talent in turning into a profitable basketball coach.
- Retain observe of your filming notes in a location that you can conveniently obtain and assessment them. This will make breaking down the up coming film even quicker and much easier. I use my basketball coaching planner. It really is a great way to continue to keep myself organized with observe designs, game designs, scouting reports, and film periods.
If you will observe these standard strategies for breaking down game film it will turn out to be enjoyment and effortless for you ensuing in far more achievements for you and your team.